With your Hamilton Public Library card, you can now borrow eBooks from the OverDrive digital collections at Burlington Public Library, Mississauga Public Library, London Public Library & Ottawa Public Library.
How it works
- With your Hamilton Public Library card number, visit HPL's OverDrive's main page. There, you will find a link to each partner Library, either in a menu at the top of your screen, Partner Libraries — or close to the bottom of your screen.
- Tap the link to reveal a drop-down menu containing links to each partner Library. Select the link to the partner Library of your choice: Burlington Public Library (BPL), Mississauga Library (ML), London Public Library (LPL) or Ottawa Public Library (OPL).
- On the partner Library's OverDrive site, browse the collection as you normally would. When you are ready to borrow, tap on Borrow. This will take you to their OverDrive Welcome page.
- On the Welcome page, select your home Library, Hamilton Public Library, in the drop-down menu, and type your HPL card number where indicated. The checkout procedure is the same for all partner libraries.
- In your OverDrive visitor account through BPL, ML, LPL or OPL, you may borrow 10 books and place holds on five books from each Library at any one time.
- The loan period is set by the public Library from which you are borrowing.
- When you borrow from a partner Library, the items will not be listed in your HPL OverDrive account. You will need to look at your visitor account through BPL, ML, LPL or OPL.
- OverDrive/Libby app users: You can add the partner Library systems to your OverDrive account as a quick way to select the collection you wish to view.
Placing & Filling Holds
The OverDrive collections are linked; however, members of each system will not be competing with non-residents for books in their home Library collection. Each Library will give their members priority if there is a queue for a book in their digital collection.