The following is the media release that is available on our website.
Welcome Back: Hamilton Public Library reopens its 22 branches
In-branch services include browsing and computer use
HAMILTON, ON – July 29, 2020 – Beginning July 30, HPL branches are open for browsing, holds pickup, computer access and use of printers, scanner, fax and Makerspace equipment. New branch hours are Tuesday-Thursday 11AM-7PM and Friday- Saturday 11AM-5PM. (Turner Park opens for browsing and computer use August 4, 2020.)
In-branch service updates include:
- All visitors are required to have a library card to ensure accurate contact tracing.
- Hamilton’s mask bylaw: Members visiting a branch are requested to wear masks.
- HPL will provide a free mask for members needing one.
- Members and staff are expected to practice physical distancing.
- Increased cleaning and sanitizing protocols are in place. Hand sanitizer is available for members and staff.
- Staff wear PPE.
- Each facility has reduced maximum capacity.
- In-branch furniture and computers are spaced to accommodate distancing and protection, including plexiglass barriers at staff service desks.
- Returned items are quarantined for 72 hours.
- In-person programs or events are not yet available.
- Fax and Makerspace equipment (except Sound and Video studios) is only offered at Central Library.
- Bookmobile and Visiting Library Service returns in Fall.
- Members needing additional help should call 905.546.3200, email AskHPL@hpl.ca or chat with staff at hpl.ca.
Please return items to book drops. All library materials are quarantined for 72 hours before being checked in, so it may take a few days for the update to be reflected on your account.
“We’re moving to Phase 3 because of the collective work of people in our community. We’re excited to welcome back all Hamilton Public Library members. All branches have increased cleaning and new services,” says Paul Takala, CEO/Chief Librarian, Hamilton Public Library. “It’s truly an example of Hamilton’s resilience that we’re rounding the bend. Let’s continue to make good progress by working together to reopen slowly and safely. We hope to see you at a branch soon.” HPL’s virtual branch is always open. Visit hpl.ca for online resources and programs, including Storytimes, author readings, book clubs, crafts, tech classes and more. Reach library staff by phone 905.546.3200, email AskHPL@hpl.ca or online chat at hpl.ca. For the latest library service updates and resources, visit www.hpl.ca/reopens.
About Hamilton Public Library
Hamilton Public Library is a vibrant hub for information and culture, providing our diverse community the Freedom to Discover. As one of the largest library systems in Canada, Hamiltonians will discover something new at our 22 locations, two Bookmobiles, or through our extensive digital collections. Visit us online at hpl.ca. Follow us on Twitter @hamiltonlibrary. Like us on Facebook at HamiltonPublicLibrary.